Best Portable Table Saw: Top 8 Portable Table Saws In The Market
For amateur woodworkers and professional contractors, table saws are must-have tools. If you have limited space or need to move your table saw constantly, you may not want to invest in a stationary one. Instead, you may want to consider purchasing a portable table saw. As you probably know, though, not every portable table saw on the market is right for every job. Likewise, some are simply bad buys. That’s where we come in. We have put together a list of the best portable table saws for 2018. Read on to see which one we think is the best portable table saw and which others are also worthwhile investments.
How We Developed Our Rankings
We don’t want to lead you astray. Instead, we work hard to provide you with honest and reliable information. When compiling our rankings, we looked at dozens of portable table saws. Specifically, we evaluated each one based on the following criteria:
- Power – Portable table saws should cut through wood without much effort. Accordingly, we analyzed each saw’s motor by looking at product specifications.
- Performance – A powerful table saw isn’t much good if it doesn’t deliver a straight cut. Therefore, we evaluated each saw based on its cutting performance. We also considered its fence and miter guide when determining our ratings.
- Portability – Portable table saws should be, as its name implies, portable. As such, we wanted the saws on our list to have collapsible legs, wheels and other features that make transportation feasible.
- Price – Table saw manufacturers market their products to novice woodworkers and professional contractors, so we knew there would be a wide disparity in pricing. Still, we factored the overall cost of each saw into our determination.
In addition to product specifications and marketing materials, we looked through hundreds of customer reviews. When a real-world user likes or dislikes a saw, we try to tell you about it in our reviews. We also give you a general idea of how much each portable table saw costs. Remember, the prices in our analyses are estimates only. You may pay more or less for your saw. If you want to save a few bucks, you should look for manufacturer and retailer rebates.
The Top 8 Best Portable Table Saws
- First ever brass-geared Worm Drive table saw for maximum power and torque
- 15 Amp solid construction dual-field motor for increased cutting speed and extended motor life
- 25 inch rip capacity and 3-1/2 inch depth of cut for ripping a wide variety of materials; Fit Dado blades with the...
The best portable table saw in our opinion is the SKILSAW portable worm-drive table saw. This tool weighs only 49 pounds, making it ideal for transportation. Meanwhile, the saw’s 15-amp dual-field motor is powerful enough to tackle large and small projects without much effort. This saw is a benchtop table saw, so you need to have your own bench or table to hold it, though.
The compact size of the SKILSAW portable table saw makes it ideal for storage. In fact, you don’t need an integrated shop to house this tool. Whether you are a novice woodworker or an ambitious contractor, you will appreciate the sturdiness and power of this portable table saw.
Consumer reviews for this tool are overwhelmingly positive. Users enjoy the safety features, fence and motor on this table saw. They also appreciate how easy it is to switch sawblades. For our purposes, these benefits are good enough for the top spot.
Most amateur woodworkers and weekend warriors don’t need a contractor-grade table saw. Instead, they want a useful tool that doesn’t bust the budget. The Ryobi 15-amp table saw is that tool. This portable saw boasts a cutting surface of 25 x 17 inches. For the majority of woodworkers, this provides ample space for most projects.
Even though the Ryobi portable saw is affordable, it delivers a powerful performance. The 15-amp motor is large enough to propel the blade effectively. Meanwhile, the included 24-tooth blade makes most rough cuts possible. An accurate miter gauge makes angled cuts a breeze.
While most customers have positive feelings about this saw, some express discontentment with its assembly. Still, the included instructions are easy to understand. Online videos also help make saw assembly straightforward.
DEWALT markets its table saw as a contractor-grade, job-site tool. That’s for a good reason, as the small size of this saw makes it easy to move. The 15-amp motor delivers 4800 RPM, making it ideal for large and small projects. Even better, the tool comes with adjustable feet, giving you the opportunity to level your saw before you begin cutting.
We like this saw’s dust catcher. If you enjoy having a clean workspace, we bet you will appreciate it too. Some consumers dislike this saw’s miter guide, though. While the compact size and cutting potential deserve respect, the inaccurate miter feature drops this saw to the third spot on our list.
- This Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to work and look like new, with minimal to no signs of...
- Innovative internal rip fence maintains alignment by protecting fence while stored
- 15 amp heavy-duty motor powers through the most difficult cuts
Hobby woodworkers and professional contractors appreciate the portability of the RIDGID heavy-duty portable saw. This tool has a 15-amp motor that delivers sufficient power to cut through a variety of woods. Meanwhile, the saw’s stand collapses easily, while wheels make relocating it a breeze.
Consumers appreciate the small size of this tool. Even though it has a large cutting area, the RIDGID portable table saw stores easily in a garage corner. The saw is also simple to assemble.
The DEWALT DWE7491RS is the second DEWALT portable table saw on our list. Unlike the first, this one is professional-grade. The huge cutting area and the 10-inch blade can handle thick cuts. You can also expect a 32 ½-inch rip capacity from the 4800 RPM this machine’s engine delivers.
The legs fold neatly beneath this DEWALT portable saw, making for compact storage. Even better, the wheels allow contractors to relocate this tool to different job sites quickly. If you want to make fine cuts, you probably won’t be happy with the included blade. Switching it for one with more teeth is simple and straightforward, though.
- Powerful table saw – has 15-Amp saw with 4. 0 max HP and 3, 650 rpm, for rip-cutting and cross-cutting of fine and...
- Dimensions: 37.7" D x 29.4" W x 19.4" H | Product Weight: 110 lb
- Large cast aluminum top – provides increased work space and material support with a 30 In. ripping capacity
If you purchase the Bosch 10-inch worksite table saw, you can expect a powerful cutting tool. This saw has a 15-amp, 3,650 RPM motor and a 10-inch blade. Meanwhile, its innovative legs are adjustable to facilitate ergonomic use and quick storage. The price of this saw may give you sticker shock, though, as it is one of the most expensive we reviewed. You may also dislike the inflated tires, as they are prone to puncturing.
- Powerful, 4.0 amp, multi-functional, ultra-compact circular saw
- Cuts wide variety of materials such as tile, wood, sheet metal, plastics, flooring, and more. No-Load Speed- 3,500 rpm
- Ergonomic design with slim grip handle improves comfort and enhances grip and control – guide with just one hand
The Rockwell table saw includes a laser that helps you stay true to your cutting mark. With a 15-amp motor, the saw delivers 4,800 RPM. For most contractors and novice woodworkers, this is sufficient to tackle a variety of projects. Hooking up aftermarket accessories, though, may be challenging. Additionally, some consumers express disgust at the high rate of component failure with this saw. Still, the Rockwell table saw’s affordability and power demand a place on our list.
- The saw has a dual handle to provide steady control
- Trigger switch with safety button
- Automatic guard RETURN
We didn’t feel comfortable creating a list of the best portable table saws without including the best miniature saw. That distinction goes to the TruePower Mini electric table saw. This tool has a small cutting surface that is useful for pint-sized or soft projects. If you plan to cut through larger projects, though, this isn’t the saw for you. Nonetheless, users appreciate the compact size and cutting potential of this little entry on our list.
Best Portable Table Saw Buyer’s Guide
Few woodworking tools are more important than a table saw. By investing in a portable one, you can take your table saw to job sites or other locations. With a large number of table saws on the market today, finding the right one can be challenging. That is, of course, unless you have some information.
Table Saw Styles
Table saws come in a few different styles. By understanding each one, you can choose the one that best meets your woodworking needs.
- Cabinet saws – Cabinet table saws are not portable. These tools generally install in a certain place in your shop and remain there forever.
- Benchtop saws – Benchtop table saws don’t have their own set of legs. Instead, you must set these tools on top of a workbench, table or another sturdy surface. Nonetheless, they are small enough to move easily.
- Contractor saws – Contractor table saws are semi-permanent tools. They collapse for movement from job site to job site, but their beefy stands and legs provide cabinet-like support.
- Hybrid saws – Hybrid table saws have legs that fold beneath the saw. They also usually have wheels to make transportation a breeze.
When shopping for a new table saw, you must carefully consider blade styles. After all, the blade is the component that cuts through wood. Generally, blade classification depends on the following specifications:
- Diameter – Most table saw blades have a diameter of 10 or 12 inches. You can buy blades as small as five inches, though.
- Arbor size – A blade’s arbor size is the size of the hole in the center of the blade. When shopping for replacement blades, you must select an arbor size that is compatible with your table saw.
- Number of teeth – To cut through different types of wood, you need a blade with the right number of teeth. Most table saw blades have between 24 and 80 teeth, although you can find specialty blades with fewer or more.
- Kerf size – Kerf size is the size a blade cuts in wood. It may help to think of this dimension as the width of the blade.
- Speed – Table saw blade manufacturers rate their products for speed. A blade’s speed tells you how fast it must spin to work properly.
- Purpose – Manufacturers also design blades for specific uses. Before you begin to cut with your blade, you must be certain can handle your intended application.
- Tilt – Not all table saw blades tilt. If you want to miter your cuts, you must invest in a blade that tilts left, right or either direction.
Table Saw Motors, Fences and Miters
As you may suspect, not every table saw motor is equal, either. Portable table saws usually have 120-volt, direct-drive motors. Larger table saws, meanwhile, often come equipped with heavy-duty motors that deliver between three and five horsepower. These options also usually have a drive belt that requires 240 volts to operate.
On all table saws, the fence is important. This device allows you to cut straight and rip boards. Generally, portable table saws feature a T-square fence. The table saw’s miter gauge, meanwhile, facilitates angled cuts. When you are shopping for your new table saw, you must be sure it comes with a decent fence and miter guide.
Table Saw Safety Features
Because they have a sharp blade spinning rapidly, table saws can be dangerous. To avoid injury, you must be certain your table saw has adequate safety features and that they are correctly attached. A plastic safety guard covers the blade on most table saws. Meanwhile, features like anti-kickback pawls, pushers and riving knives protect your fingers from the smart blade. You also want an accessible on/off switch to keep control of your table saw.
Table Saw Accessories
To get the most out of your portable table saw, you may want to invest in a few aftermarket accessories. The following are common upgrades:
- High-quality blade
- Dado blades
- Router table
- Molding heads
- Cross-cut sled
- Extension table
Final Thoughts About Portable Table Saws
A portable table saw is a positive addition to anyone’s tool collection. While our list includes the eight best ones in our estimation, it is not exhaustive. That is, you may find that the perfect portable table saw for your needs didn’t make our list. Our goal is to give you reliable information that you can use to make a smart purchase. By using our buyer guide and best portable table saw as a reference, you should know what to ask when purchasing your next favorite tool.