Best Miter Saw: Buying Guide And Our Full Review
When buying a tool of any kind, you want to be sure you are getting the best value for your money. On top of that, you need to make sure that you’re buying a high-quality tool that will meet your needs. A miter saw is a versatile and useful tool, and it can be a good investment.
However, if you buy the wrong one, it could be a waste of money. We want to make it easier for you to find the right miter saw. We’ve put together a list to help you determine the best miter saw for 2018.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We base our ratings on expert reviews and customer reviews. We also look at the manufacturer’s reputation. Combining this with our own professional insight, we came up with a list of the 10 best miter saws on the market for 2018. We include the pros and cons of each, along with their standout features.
Our list includes a variety of brands and styles of miter saws. We wanted to find the best ones based on their performance.
Our list offers you a range of choices that can work for almost any need. Each saw is rated on its own accord and not rated in comparison to the other saws on the list.
Since each saw has its own good and bad aspects, we felt comparing them was not the best option.
Best Miter Saw Comparison Table
Top 10 Best Miter Saws
[amazon link=”B00540JS7C”][amazon box=”B00540JS7C”]
This 12-inch double-bevel sliding compound miter saw features a new precise miter system with an integrated XPS crosscut position system.
This makes for adjustment-free cut line indication. It is portable and powerful at 3,800 rpm. The back-fence design increases the ability to cut at deeper angles.
It also increases accuracy through the adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate. The only real downside is that it doesn’t come with a stand. There was a defect with earlier versions of this saw, which has since been fixed.
[amazon link=”B0028Y4Q2O”][amazon box=”B0028Y4Q2O”]
This is a 10-inch dual-slide compound miter saw. It features a laser guide for more precise cutting and does a great job of providing accurate cuts thanks to its six linear ball bearings. It is powerful, offering 3,200 rpm, plus it has a compact design.
Additionally, the Makita name is a very strong one in this industry. This company is known for producing reliable and durable tools that offer precision.
One common complaint, however, was that precision and accuracy were affected over time due to a stiffening of the slides.
[amazon link=”B000ASBCK4″][amazon box=”B000ASBCK4″]
This is a single-bevel compound miter saw that measures in at 12 inches. The bevel goes to 48 degrees on the left and 3 degrees on the right for increased capacity.
It has a lot of power with 4,000 rpm from the 15-amp motor. Its precise miter system combines with a machined base fence for optimized accuracy.
The adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate improves the overall productivity while ensuring precise cutting. The fence also slides to get out of the way for cuts.
This is a budget saw, so it lacks some of the features of the more expensive models. However, the DeWalt name backs up its performance and quality.
[amazon link=”B00G5R4E9A”][amazon box=”B00G5R4E9A”]
This miter saw has a 10-inch dual bevel glide system. It has a 15-amp motor and runs at 4,800 rpm. It features up-front bevel controls with ample range. The cuts are clean, and 90 percent of the dust is collected by the vacuum.
The axial-glide system has a hinged arm that sits flush as you cut and lessens the front-to-back space requirement. It is durable and precise. The biggest issue is that the glide system can eventually shift, which can reduce the accuracy of cuts.
[amazon link=”B00NOXNZ3E”][amazon box=”B00NOXNZ3E”]
This 10-inch sliding miter saw packs a lot of power. It has a 15-amp motor with 5,500 rpm. The miter range is 45 degrees left and 50 degrees right.
It has a laser for accurate cutting. The dust collection system is powerful, too. With the electric brake stop its safety is boosted.
This is a lower cost saw, so it doesn’t have a lot of high-end features, but it is super powerful and has great performance with the features it does have.
With that said, this isn’t optimal for long hours of work or use every day. It is better as a hobby saw, and the quality of the parts are lower than what you would get with higher-priced options.
[amazon link=”B00LUCZRVO”][amazon box=”B00LUCZRVO”]
This is a single-bevel sliding compound miter saw. It has a 10-inch blade and a 15-amp motor that runs at 4,800 rpm. The miter range is 50 degrees to the left and right. It features Laser Trac to achieve accurate cuts.
While this is backed by the well-known and respected Craftsman name, it is a budget saw that does not have a lot of extra features. It is powerful and well-made. The biggest complaint was about the inferior dust collector.
[amazon link=”B07217ZVP5″][amazon box=”B07217ZVP5″]
This single-bevel compound miter saw is another affordable option. It measures in at 10 inches. The bevel is adjustable to 45 degrees with miter ranges 52 degrees left and right. It is fairly lightweight at a little over 24 pounds. The 15-amp motor has speeds of 5,000 rpm.
It also comes with a five-year warranty and a fence that rises to four inches. Users give this saw rave reviews; however, there are many complaints about the base being broken upon receipt or breaking soon after purchase. Of note, it is not covered by the warranty if it breaks during use.
[amazon link=”B000V5Z6RG”][amazon box=”B000V5Z6RG”]
This is a 10-inch single-bevel compound miter saw. It tackles all types of wood with its powerful 5,000 rpm. It has easy-stop thumb control and a comfortable design.
The table is large and has a built-in clamping system. The bevel range is 45 degrees, while the miter range is up to 52 degrees.
It is praised for being user-friendly. It also provides clean and concise cuts. The only real downside to this saw is that the blade is not optimal for fine cuts; however, you can opt for an upgrade.
[amazon link=”B00S4OQ9A4″][amazon box=”B00S4OQ9A4″]
This sliding compound miter saw comes in at 12 inches. It is a heavy tool, weighing in at 51 pounds, but that doesn’t really hinder its portability. It runs at 3,800 rpm with a 15-amp motor. The carry handle is built in and it has an adjustable stainless steel detent.
The miter ranges 60 degrees right and 50 degrees left, which is very wide. It switches between tasks very easily and quickly. The DeWalt name backs up this tool with reliability and durability.
The dust collection bag takes up a lot of room and the saw isn’t as feature-packed as more expensive models, but it is a good saw overall.
[amazon link=”B0000223I4″][amazon box=”B0000223I4″]
This 10-inch miter saw has a precision-machined aluminum base. The bevel range is 45 degrees to the left, while the miter is 45 degrees left and 52 degrees right. It is blessed with a powerful 15-amp motor with 4,600 rpm.
It is compact and the features are kept to a minimum, but the price is nice. Also, it is very light at just over 27 pounds.
Plus, you won’t trade off quality for the low price, which is always good, but not unexpected from Makita. The only downsides are that you can’t get a stand for it and the dust collection isn’t very good.
Buyer’s Guide On The Best Miter Saw
Now that we have given you information on what we think are the 10 best miter saw picks for 2018, we want to further help you choose the right saw to fit your needs.
Of course, you will want to check out the differences between the types of miter saws if you don’t already know much about them.
Then, you should look into the available features to decide which ones you need in a saw. Here are some options you may want to consider:
- Positive stops – While we didn’t list these above, they will be important when choosing a saw. They help make the job faster and can increase productivity. You want to look for variation among the stops because this makes it easier to use. It is nice if you also have the option of making custom stops.
- Blade change – Get to know more about how the blade is changed. In some saws, this will be an easy process, while it could be much harder with others. If you don’t need to change blades often, it may not matter as much, but if you plan to work with multiple blades, then you want this process to be as easy as possible.
- Laser guide – A laser guide, as the name suggests, is a laser light that helps you cut straight. This is obviously helpful. Not every saw will have one, especially the more budget-friendly ones. However, if you can get a saw with a guide, it can be very beneficial. Do note that some brands are notorious for inaccurate laser guides, so make sure you check into this if this is an important feature to you.
- Work stand – Again, this is a feature not every saw will come with. In addition, they are very different from brand to brand. You will want to look at the stand options available. Just keep in mind, you may have to buy this separate with some models.
- Dust collection – The dust collection system is important to keep your work area clean and protect the saw. As you see in our reviews, some saws have a better system than others.
- Electric brake – A brake is a good safety feature to have. It helps the blade slow down to prevent accidental cuts.
- Ergonomics – You want a saw that is comfortable to hold, especially if you will be working with it for long hours. Not only will it feel better in your hand, but a good design will also absorb vibrations, which boosts comfort.
- Power – Of course, you must consider power. If a saw lacks power, then it won’t perform the way you want. Bigger isn’t always better. Just look for the most power for the size of saw you are buying.
While this is not an exhaustive list of features, it does cover the main ones. You may find through your experience that some features matter more than others based on the work you do.
In addition, if the main function is for hobby use rather than professional use, you may care about different features more than others. So, do your own research and use your own experience to decide how to weigh these features.
Once you find the miter saw you want to buy, make sure you maintain it. Here are some tips for the use and maintenance of your new saw:
- Clean it regularly. This is a simple but essential task. Wiping your saw down after each use will make it last longer.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines. Read the owner’s manual and follow it exactly. The guidelines are written for a reason. If you fail to follow them, you may not get the best performance out of your saw and you could end up getting hurt.
- Always be safety-minded. Saws are dangerous tools. You must follow proper safety protocols.
Final Word On The Best Miter Saw
The best miter saw of 2018 is really your call. While we can offer our opinion and tell you what reviewers say, we can’t say what will work best for you.
Weigh this guide against your own experience, and you should find the right saw to fit your needs.