Buying Guide and Safety Tips for Propane Fire Pits
It is a wonderful piece of comfort and warmth in your backyard or patio. When you own one, it becomes the center of social gathering. If you are thinking of buying one. You may be overwhelmed by a wide variety of choices. On top of that you may end up buying a propane fire pit that doesn't meet your needs.
That is why I have added this short guide to be a benchmark of what propane fire pit should buy. With this guide you can narrow down your selections using this feature and buy the fire pits that you need.
The size: Propane fire pits come in different sizes. You have the option to choose either large, small or medium sizes.
- Large propane fire pits: If you are considering a permanent propane fits, then you will need a large fire pit. But what you need to know is that, it is tedious to move around with it past your home. If you are buying fire pits for camping, then you will need a large fire pit. Large fire pits are often 3 feet wide. You can also use it at home, if you want something that the whole family and guest will enjoy.
- Medium sizes propane fire pit: It ranges from 30 to 36 inches wides. It is perfect for patios, backyard and decks. They are light enough, that makes it easy to move around.
- Small size propane fire pit: They are relatively small and can be used it in any place.
Material: Portable propane fire pits are made up of different materials.
- Steel propane fire pits: If you don't take care of them, they rust pretty first. They are relatively cheaper than other materials.
- Copper propane fire pits: They are expensive, they do not rust over time.
- Cast iron propane fire pits: Most propane fire pits are made up of cast iron. They are relatively cheap and light. However, cast iron is not that strong like wrought iron. It is commonly used because of its lightweight feature.
- Stainless steel propane fire pits: They feature a rust free, durable materials that will make it look stylish and beautiful over a long period. Unfortunately, stainless portable propane fire pits are rare, because of price and cost of making them, only a few companies make them.
Functionality: Are you interested in having an outdoor fireplace or do you want also to use it cook hot dogs and marshmallows.Some fire pits can only be used for outdoor purposes. Others can serve two functions. Those that are used for cooking have grills or you have to buy a grill to use them.
Safety measures: You know how dangerous propane is. For that reason, you have to check if the product that you are buying is CSA approved.
Canadian Standard Association(CSA), is responsible for developing national codes to be used in the propane industry.Apart from CSA, buying a fire pit means learning the rule of safety to keep everybody safe.
Brand: There are different brands that make portable propane fire pits. When selecting the brand, buy from the brands that have better customer services.This will make it easier for you to return the product, in case it has got a dent or you just have concerns about the product.
British Thermal Unit(BTU): Some fire pits produce more BTU like 58,000 while others produce the least amount of thermal units. What is important is the amount of heat that you will need the fire pit to produce.
Cover/ Carry Kit: If you are a person who moves out a lot, consider investing in a fire pit that comes with a cover.
Cooling: It is the most ignored feature in buying a propane fire pit. Invest in an excellent fire pit that has a shorter cooling period. It can be frustrating to have a fire pit that takes more than 30 minutes just to cool down.
Price: It is a repeated clinch that high price translates to better product. In most cases this is seldom true. My advice is for you to look at the feature the propane fire pit has. There is a time you can buy a high-end product only for it to last for shortage period.
The choice is yours, The ball is now in your court. All you need is to go through this review and narrow down to the fire pits that you think will meet your needs.
Outdoor Portable Propane Fire Pit Safety Tips
Propane fire pits are excellent. But I will be doing you a disservice if I didn't make you concerned about its safety measure. If you follow the instruction very well, I don't see why you would end up in trouble.
The fire pit using propane should be 10 feet away from your home or a neighboring yard. Never put the propane fire pit under a porch, carpet or nearby trees. It should be always away from any foliage or trees. The best places to put the fire pits it would be on a deck, concrete floor, stone, brick or gravel. It should be in non-inflammable surface.
- Choose a nice spot: The propane fire pit should be 10 feet away from your home or a neighboring yard. Never put the propane fire pit under a porch, carpet or nearby trees. It should be always away from any foliage or trees. The best places to put the fire pits it would be on a deck, concrete floor, stone, brick or gravel. It should be in non-inflammable surface.
- Make sure your kids are safe: Fire pits can be nice to look at, but they can also be dangerous for kids. Make sure to keep an eye on your kids most of the time. They should be at a safe distance and don't leave them unattended. Children should not be allowed to run around or play next to the fire.
- Give time for cooling: After using the fire pits, it is best to give it sometimes before it finally cools. Most fire pits that I have reviewed here have a cooling period of between 15 to 3o minutes.
- Have fire extinguisher: It is amazing how most homes forget this simple thing. In the event of fire, you need a fire extinguisher around. Since propane is a gas and travel first on the air, the chances of it catching fire are high. It is your duty to make sure that everybody in your homestead knows how to use this fire extinguisher.
- Check for leaks: Before lighting the propane gas, make sure to check if there is any leakage. All the valves and connections need to be tight.
- Keep the burners and pipes clean: Dirty burners and pipes can clog up the propane gas, which makes it dangerous. If you are using this fire pit every week, you will need to keep it clean often. It is normal for insect to nest inside the pipe of this fire pit, which can contribute to a blockage.
- Proper clothing: When around the fire pit make sure that you don't wear loose fitting clothes such as nylon. It could easily catch fire.
- When around the fire pit make sure that you don't wear loose fitting clothes such as nylon. It could easily catch fire.
- Use fire pit pads: If you have a patio or wooden deck at home, you can buy fire pit pads that you can place your fire. They are fire-resistant. They will avoid direct heat to your wood deck.
Video: Gas fire pit safety tips
Owning the best fire pit is a nice way of improving your outdoor living spaces. However, caution must be taken when having their fire pits around. Make sure that pets, kids and everybody are safe distance from the fire pits. The heat will always be enough to warm everybody.
If you want to get the most out of your fire pits, keep this safety follows this safety measure to keep your guest safe and your fire pits working properly.
Improving your outdoor living spaces is essential if you want to have a romantic evening. Nothing says that you will get everybody entertained than having a portable propane fire pit. Unlike wood fireplaces,that are tedious and stressful to maintain, propane fire pits are a no-brainer.
All you need is it to unpack the package and set in a place where you want it to light. The only thing that you will need to follow strictly is the safety rules, each manufactures has stipulated for their product.